BENEFICIARY OF THE PROJECT
The beneficiary of this project is the Ministry of Forestry and Water Affairs and the General Directorate of Nature Conservation and National Parks under the Ministry is in charge of the coordination and execution of the project. Information Technologies Department within the same Ministry assumes the information technologies activities of the project.
General Directorate of Nature Conservation and National Parks is responsible for the conservation of biodiversity and performing the activities on management of protected areas, as well as the process of implementation of European Union Birds and Habitats Directive (Natura 2000) in Turkey. This project aims to support the General Directorate in this effort.
Natura 2000 is a network created to protect people and nature together, without abstraction the nature from human being. Process of designation of Natura 2000 sites and implementation of the network can be improved with the participation of various organizations and institutions. Therefore, The Ministry of Environment and Urbanization, The Ministry of Food, Agriculture and Livestock, Universities and NGOs operating on nature conservation are the most essential stakeholders in the project.
OBJECTIVES OF THE PROJECT
- Identification of species and habitats existing in Turkey, which are listed in European Union Birds and Habitats Directive Annexes,
- Development of a new “Methodology on Selection of Natura 2000 Sites” by harmonizing the Systematic Conservation Planning approach (method of definition the potential protected areas) implemented in Turkey with Natura 2000 approach,
- Designation of potential Natura 2000 sites in the pilot areas of the project (Central Anatolia Region and its surroundings) and in line with this method,
- Establishment of a new database in compliance with other biodiversity databases in EU Member States for Natura 2000 sites
- Increasing institutional capacity in the field of Natura 2000.
Project’s Pilot Area